Saturday 25 January 2014

Weekly Blog Post #14

Artistic Inspiration: John Williams- Becoming A Geisha

So far for my Artistic Inspirations I've talked about my favourite computer artist, mangaka, animated film director, photographer, and drawer. I still have yet to talk about dancing and music.

I was a little kid the first time I watched Memoirs of a Geisha so at the time I didn't understand what was going on. Years later when I did a project about Geisha and researched about them, I re watched the movie and understood it A LOT better but I still didnt understand the story...(until I read the book [which was very interesting and finished it under a week])

Years ago, the time when I first watched the movie, my dad bought the album with the instrumentals and put it in iTunes so when I plugged in my iPod it synced into it. I listened to a few of the songs but the one that caught my eye was 'Becoming A Geisha'. 

Listening to the song at the moment, its really difficult for me to describe. It sounds off sounding like a mystical Asian melody consisting of a range of string instruments then slowly changes to tiko drums and then changes back to the original melody. For ever time the chorus comes, it gets stronger and includes another instrument.

When I put my headphones on and close my eyes, this song takes me to another world. I begin to think of a rural area with traditional styled homes, a small stream, and a garden full of cherry blossom trees with its petals floating in the wind. Once the tiko drums come, I feel as if I'm at a festival (o_o)


No comments:

Post a Comment