Monday 4 November 2013

Visual Identity: Logo

ナオミ森本デザイ



The name of my company is Naomi Morimoto Dezain (ナオミ森本デザイ), "dezain" meaning "designs" in Japanese. I decided to go with the Japanese word to make it stand out more than leaving it as the word design and since I specialize more in manga and anime drawings, I want to attract more of those clients. I also want to work in Japan someday.

I want to make my company have a friendly but serious feel. I am friendly in person but become really serious when it comes to work.
For the elements and principles of design, I used mainly curved lines and organic shapes to give it a more playful feel. The colours in my logo is a light pink turning into black to show that I can do both girly and playful and professional and serious work. The logo is balanced well since the 'N' and the 'M' take up an equal amount of space while the tails of the letters go in opposite directions with the same proportions of circles spiraling out. The circles just gave my logo more of a shape rather than leaving it as an 'NM'. There is a contrast between the 'N' and 'M' since one's a pale pink while the other is black. I see more emphasis on the right side due to the black but I think that since there's a range of pinks that it balances out.

While sketching out ideas for my logo, I had my bunny idea turned down (don't judge me) and moved onto a different idea where I just have my initials. I made many different versions and it slowly became to this. I added the circles to make it more recognizable and different.

To create my logo, I scanned in an inked outline and used to pen tool to make the 'N' and 'M'. I used the ellipse tool to make the circles for one end and copied each one so both sides would be the same proportions. I then chose my logo colours and filled in the 'N' and 'M' and the largest circles. For the other circles, I went to the same pink and chose colours that eventually go to black. I had a difficult time using the pen tool since I had a hard time getting the curves perfect. I got upset when I couldn't get the circles perfectly round but I was lucky that Alfonso was there and showed me how to use the ellipse tool. That made my life so much easier. Thank you Alfonso ^^

Hmm...I really like my logo design, it's just that I wish I can redo the pen tool to make it look more professional. And today, Tristan gave me helpful advice where I make the 'M's tail more rounded to match with the 'N'. So I am not satisfied with my logo. I may have to wait until I finish all the things left to do for the Branding assignment since it would take me some time to make the logo to my satisfaction. I'm worried that I lost marks for saying I'm not happy with my logo but at least I'm telling the truth. ( ̄3 ̄)

For the two other visuals, I want to make an apparel and have ideas already sketched out. I am not exactly sure what I want to do for the second but maybe my packaging designs, like how each size box would look to ship my artwork to the client, or maybe a magazine advertisement? I am not 100% sure yet since I still have a few other things to do, like the animation... For the animation I plan to have the 'N' and 'M' come from opposite ends and connect at the center then have the circles popping out in order from the tails of both letters. Sorry if I didn't explain it well 。・°°・(>_<)・°°・。

I have the flyer and business cards done. It's just that I am working on getting my drawings in each letter. The 'N' with my animated drawing of B.A.P's Zelo is finished, I just have to do the same with the 'M' but with one of my realistic drawings.

Wow that took WAAAAY longer to write than I thought it was gonna be O__o
(Felt like I wrote an essay)

No comments:

Post a Comment